Update: May 10, 2021
NewSchool of Architecture & Design is prepared to open campus for the Summer 2021 Quarter. We know it has been a trying year navigating the COVID-19 pandemic. As communities begin to ease restrictions, we are looking forward to reopening the campus, while continuing to keep safety and wellbeing our top priority.
Summer Quarter begins on Monday, July 6th. The Summer 2021 Schedule will be available on Friday, May 14th, and registration for the Summer Quarter begins Monday, May 17th.
Campus operations will be available in a limited capacity in the Summer Quarter. The plan is for faculty and staff to make a phased return to campus during Summer Quarter. Faculty and staff will be expected to make a full return to campus by Fall Quarter. As we plan for the upcoming return to campus, and to keep our campus community safe for all, faculty, staff, and students are strongly encouraged to get fully vaccinated before the campus opens in July. Vaccines are now available for all adults in California. Information regarding vaccines and appointments is available at https://myturn.ca.gov/. More specific information regarding returning to campus in the Summer and Fall will be available soon.
One significant change to Summer courses is the introduction of Canvas, an online learning platform that will replace Blackboard. All courses will have an online environment in Canvas to view syllabi and other academic course information. Additionally, there will be a new column on the schedule titled “Modality” that indicates the method of course instruction for each course. Course modality options include:
- MS Teams: Course will be taught online through Microsoft Teams.
- Canvas: Course will be taught asynchronously through Canvas.
- Campus: Course will be taught on-ground at NewSchool.
Students who register for on-ground courses are highly encouraged to attend in-person. However, we understand that all students may not be able to move back to San Diego by the start of the Summer Quarter. Therefore, students will have the option to live-stream all campus-based courses through MS Teams and continue distance learning through the Summer Quarter.
NewSchool will continue to follow the Center for Disease Control’s (CDC) guidance as well as state and local requirements regarding social distancing.
We will continue to monitor and follow all health and safety protocols, prioritizing the safety and welfare of NewSchool’s campus community. You can stay up to date with NewSchool’s response to the COVID-19 pandemic by visiting this page, which is updated whenever new information becomes available. Please continue checking your NewSchool email account regularly. This will be our primary means of communication for all campus updates.
Questions? These email accounts are monitored daily:
- Students: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Prospective students: email@example.com
- Operational questions: please email your supervisor
- All other questions: firstname.lastname@example.org
Information About COVID-19:
Detailed information about the Coronavirus, how it is transmitted, how to protect against it, and areas to avoid travel is available at the following websites:
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: Coronavirus Disease 2019
- World Health Organization: Coronavirus Disease Outbreak
- San Diego County: Coronavirus Information
- California Department of Public Health – Guidance for Colleges and Universities
- CDC: Resources for Institutes of Higher Education
- CDC Travel Health Notices
- World Health Organization Website
- California Department of Public Health Website
- International SOS Pandemic Information
- ISOS COVID-19 PDF
- Update: 3/24/21
- Update: 2/1/21
- Update: 12/8/20
- Update: 10/26/20
- Update: 10/6/20
- Update: 8/10/20
- Update: 7/14/20
- Update: 6/30/20
- Update: 5/21/20
- Update: 4/16/20
- Update: 4/2/20
- Update: 3/31/20
- Update: 3/20/20
- Update: 3/16/20
- Update: 3/13/20
- Update: 3/10/20
Click here for Wellness Tips
Click here for Student Online Learning Resources
Click here to Explore NewSchool Virtually