We are proud of our diverse community of both students and faculty at NewSchool of Architecture & Design. Our International Enrollment Team is here to walk you through every step of the application process, from your first questions to your first day of class. Feel free to contact us as you begin your application by email or call 619-684-8800.
NewSchool welcomes non-U.S. citizens to apply. All non-U.S. citizens must provide either proof of permanent resident status in the United States (a copy of a valid permanent resident card) or pursue the F-1 or J-1 student visa to be considered for admission and to register for classes.
To be eligible for the I-20 (F-1 visa) student status, an international student must be a bona fide full-time, degree-seeking student qualified to pursue a full course of study who meets either NewSchool’s undergraduate (first-time freshman and transfer students) or graduate admissions requirements.
In addition, an international applicant must:
- Demonstrate English proficiency: Because all courses at NewSchool are taught in English, non-U.S. citizens are required to demonstrate English proficiency. Official documentation must be submitted at the time of admission.
- TOEFL iBT 70
- TOEFL Minimum Sub scores Reading = 10; Listening = 9; Speaking = 16; Writing = 19
- Now also accepting the TOEFL iBT Home Edition
- IELTS 6+
- IELTS Minimum Sub scores 5.5+
- Duolingo (Total Score 95+)
- Verify Finances: Send a certified financial statement to verify sufficient United States dollars (USD) to cover tuition, fees, and living expenses for one academic year. Complete the Verification of Finances Form provided by the Enrollment Department.
- Submit Transcripts: Provide certified translations of foreign transcripts in U.S. equivalences provided by World Education Services (WES) & ECE (Educational Credential Evaluators) (recommended) or a National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES). We also accept evaluations from the Association of International Credit Evaluators (AICE) approved member at the time of admission.
- Provide Health Insurance: Provide proof of health insurance and proper immunizations prior to registration.
- Submit Transfer of Schools Form: International students currently attending a SEVIS-approved school in the United States requesting to transfer to NewSchool must also submit the Transfer of Schools Form.
NewSchool of Architecture & Design is approved by the Immigration and Naturalization Service to admit international students who require an F-1 student visa. The recently issued Executive Order entitled “Protecting the Nation from Terrorist Entry into the United States” addresses standards for immigrant, nonimmigrant, and refugee entry into the United States from Iran, Libya, Somalia, Syria, Yemen, Chad, North Korea and Venezuela (certain government officials). The U.S. Supreme Court has allowed this version of the Executive Order to go into effect immediately, which could impact a student traveling from these countries to the United States. With the exception of nationals of North Korea and Syria, students entering the United States on F Visas may be exempt from the ban. As the requirements of the Executive Order are subject to change, there is no guarantee that students from any of the banned countries will be able to enter the United States. Affected students are advised to contact immigration resources in their area for specific information on how the Executive Order may apply to their individual situation.