Explore Our Programs
Become a Product Designer
Discover Product Design
Product design permeates our world: the objects we live with, the cars we drive, the way we touch the keys on our smart phones. Industrial and product designers are creative problem solvers who think not only about design but also about the user experience.
Our product design degree explores these multifaceted applications and teaches you how to think in a way that solves design problems. Built in collaboration with the prestigious design school, Domus Academy School of Design in Milan, Italy our product design degree provides a unique global perspective for students.
Request more information to learn more about our programs!
Classes that simulate design firms
We prepare our students to become successful product designers by simulating the creative studio environment of a design firm. Instead of spending time behind a desk, our students study in exciting and collaborative studio classes that place a focus on exposing our students to projects from real clients.
We collaborate with local business’ to give our students the opportunity to work with real clients during class projects. Our students have worked on projects with Nissan, SoundUnited, Swenyo and many more to create design solutions for a wide range of industries such as life style, audio equipment and healthcare.
We Are NewSchool
- Career-Focused: 87% of NewSchool graduates are employed within 6 months of graduation.*
- Accreditations: We are accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC) Senior College and University Commission and the National Architectural Accrediting Board (NAAB).
- Scholarships: NewSchool awards more than $1 million in scholarships annually.
- Study Abroad Programs: We believe design is a global concept. We’ve had programs in countries around the world, including Italy, Spain, Portugal, and Peru.
- Transferring to NewSchool: If you’re transferring from a community college, we make it easy to get credit for the classes you’ve already taken and for third year placement.
- Student Housing: Live within steps of campus in a fully furnished, downtown apartment.
- Minors: Broaden your education by earning your minor in Architecture or Construction Management.
NewSchool’s product design program focuses on preparing our students for their future careers. We are proud that 87% of NewSchool graduates secure jobs in their field of study within six months of graduation.*
A Product Design degree from NewSchool can help prepare students for careers such as a Product Designer, Industrial Designer, Interaction Designer, Experience Designer, Furniture Designer and Design Director.
Elena Pacenti, Ph.D.
Program Chair, School of Design
During her time as the director of the Domus Academy Research Center, one of the top-ranked design schools in the world, Pacenti helped develop and coordinate design research projects for the European Union and for the Italian government. Elena was also recently recognized as being one of the “12 Most Important People in Design Right Now” by San Diego Magazine.
Assistant Professor, School of Design
With over 20 years in the industry, Miticocchio has worked as a user experience and interaction designer for Hewlett Packard. He has also studied under design masters such as Stefano Glovannoni, Makio Hasuike and Guido Venturini.
87% Job Placement
*87% of the Academic Year 2016-2017 NewSchool of Architecture & Design graduating class were hired within 6 months of graduating, according to the surveys conducted by the Career Services Department, within directly related or related field of study. Total employment percentage excludes those considered waived: Individuals who are unavailable to work due to Medical Condition, Active Military Duty, International Status, Continuing Education, Incarceration, Death or have completed a non-degree granting /stand-alone certificate program.