Explore Our Programs
92% Job Placement within 6 months of graduation*
Globally Awarded Architecture School
The School of Architecture at NewSchool is rich in diversity and creativity. With international faculty prominent in the field, you’ll be exposed to many different approaches to design and innovation and master the same industry standard technology in the classroom that you will use in the workplace. From your first day at NewSchool, you’ll explore and break through creative boundaries, and hands-on experiences will provide the foundation and tools necessary to grow and succeed as an architect.
- Bachelor of Arts in Architecture
- Bachelor of Architecture
- Master of Architecture
- Master of Architectural Studies
- Master of Science in Architecture
- Integrated Path to Architectural Licensure (IPAL)
Learning by Designing
NewSchool is an urban laboratory, combining world-renowned Italian design methodology with the innovative style of California creativity. Our “learning by designing” methodology teaches students to solve real-life design problems with the help of world-class faculty members. As a student at NewSchool, you’ll have the opportunity to work with some of the most exciting brands in the industry, make connections that will accelerate your career, gain inspiration from collaborative projects, and develop skills and talents in a self-directed way. Whether you want to launch your design career at an agency or form your own design studio, our programs will prepare you to become a leader in all facets of the global design industry.
- Bachelor of Arts in Product Design
- Bachelor of Interior Architecture & Design
- Bachelor of Science in Graphic Design & Interactive Media
Construction Management Programs
Building Your Future
NewSchool’s multidisciplinary approach to Construction Management education sets it apart on the job site. The programs are designed as interactive learning experiences, honing your skills in each part of the construction industry. You’ll learn to take an architect’s design and manage every decision making aspect of the building process from materials procurement, client meetings, budget, and safety violations. Our programs place particular emphasis on developing your skills as a business manager, preparing you for the industry’s current and future challenges.
- Bachelor of Science in Construction Management
- Master of Construction Management (ONLINE)
We Are NewSchool
- Career-Focused: 92% of NewSchool graduates are employed within 6 months of graduation.*
- Accreditations: We are accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WSCUC) and the National Architectural Accrediting Board (NAAB).
- Scholarships: NewSchool awards more than $1 million in scholarships annually.
- Study Abroad Programs: We believe design is a global concept. We’ve had programs in countries around the world, including Italy, Spain, Portugal, and Peru.
- Transferring to NewSchool: If you’re transferring from a community college, we make it easy to get credit for the classes you’ve already taken and for third year placement.
- Student Housing: Live within steps of campus in a fully furnished, downtown apartment.
- Minors: Broaden your education by earning your minor in Architecture or Construction Management.
Many of our classes are taught in a studio environment. Our studios are a place where students can work on their designs, hear feedback from their professors, and get inspired by their classmates. Whether they are night owls or early risers, students have 24/7 access to their studio space so they can work on their design whenever the inspiration strikes. Students have weekly studio hours with faculty where they can receive one-on-one feedback on their work.
Our students build their designs in our 3,000-square-foot Materials Lab featuring state-of-the art equipment for woodworking, metalworking, C.N.C routing as well as 3-D printing. The Materials Lab offers students a unique opportunity to learn how to fabricate their designs and experience the production process with the help of our trained staff. The Materials Lab is not just a model shop – it is a place to research the feasibility of designs and develop problem-solving skills while exploring new materials.
Life at NewSchool
Eric Farr, Ph.D.
Associate Professor, Undergraduate & Graduate Architecture
As the chair of Digital Architecture and Fabrication program and the coordinator of undergraduate architectural and urban theory and history, Eric Farr supervises and consults on graduate and undergraduate theses with theoretical and applied implications and outcomes. He and his research partners have won SEEDS awards for three years, (2015, 2016, 2018), and in 2018, he won “The Frontiers Award” for “the Best Paper in Building Performance and Evaluation” at Dublin Institute of Technology in Dublin, Ireland.
Elena Pacenti, Ph.D.
Dean, School of Design
Elena Pacenti comes to NewSchool from Milan’s Domus Academy, one of the top-ranked design schools in the world, where she was Head of the Design School. She was Director of the Domus Academy Research Center from 2002-2009, where she oversaw the development and coordination of design innovative research projects for the European Union and for government and private groups in Italy. She has also been recognized as one of the “12 Most Important People in Design Right Now” by San Diego Magazine.
92% Job Placement
*92% of the Academic Year 2018-2019 NewSchool of Architecture & Design graduating class was hired within 6 months of graduating, according to the surveys conducted by the Career Services Department, within directly related or related field of study. Total employment percentage excludes those considered waived: Individuals who are unavailable to work due to Medical Condition, Active Military Duty, International Status, Continuing Education, Incarceration, Death or have completed a non-degree granting /stand-alone certificate program.