Explore Our Programs
Bachelor of Interior Architecture & Design
The hands-on Bachelor of Interior Architecture & Design degree focuses on interdisciplinary, integrative practice and sustainable, socially responsible design through an international education. Interior architecture students explore how to innovate freely within the boundaries of the profession and learn how to approach design from both the intuitive and technical sides, including concept development, liaising with project stakeholders, and managing and executing design work.
Develop Your Design Identity
Interior Architecture & Design is a growing discipline that requires its practitioners to produce functional and beautiful spaces that fulfill human expectations while incorporating innovative technology and sustainable perspectives. The interior architecture and design degree program prepares students for practice at a variety of design firms through a sequence of studio, lab, and lecture classes where they address the design of diversified typologies of interior environments in the commercial and residential sectors: hospitality, healthcare, retail, workspaces, community and public spaces, transit spaces, and exhibit and temporary spaces.
We are NewSchool
- Career-Focused: 92% of NewSchool graduates are employed within 6 months of graduation.*
- Accreditations: We are accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WSCUC) and the National Architectural Accrediting Board (NAAB).
- Scholarships: NewSchool awards more than $1 million in scholarships annually.
- Study Abroad Programs: We believe design is a global concept. We’ve had programs in countries around the world, including Italy, Spain, Portugal, and Peru.
- Transferring to NewSchool: If you’re transferring from a community college, we make it easy to get credit for the classes you’ve already taken and for third year placement.
- Student Housing: Live within steps of campus in a fully furnished, downtown apartment.
- Minors: Broaden your education by earning your minor in Architecture or Construction Management.
Interior Architecture opens up a number of career paths in a wide range of industries, some of the most common opportunities include:
Interior design for commercial or residential spaces
Furniture & lighting design
- Contributing faculty, Interior Architecture & Design
- Designer of several popular San Diego restaurants, including Park & Rec and Waypoint Public
- Owner of Mbee studio and part of commercial design industry in San Diego since 1998
Elena Pacenti, Ph.D.
- Director, Design Programs at NewSchool of Architecture & Design
- Research interest focuses on theory and practice of service and experience design, in particular about the interaction among human beings, service systems and built environments.
92% Job Placement
*92% of the Academic Year 2017-2018 NewSchool of Architecture & Design graduating class was hired within 6 months of graduating, according to the surveys conducted by the Career Services Department, within directly related or related field of study. Total employment percentage excludes those considered waived: Individuals who are unavailable to work due to Medical Condition, Active Military Duty, International Status, Continuing Education, Incarceration, Death or have completed a non-degree granting /stand-alone certificate program.