NewSchool Fellows Award
Scholarship Amount: $10,000
Eligibility: New, Incoming Students
The NewSchool Fellows Award aims to expose high achieving students to an array of special opportunities which allow for the identification and development of their unique talents and abilities. Within the context of a learning environment that is collaborative, diverse, and practice-based, NewSchool Fellows will take advantage of resources and experiences to help them succeed as thought leaders in the design professions.
- $10,000 scholarship per year
- NewSchool Fellows will participate in a Pre-Orientation Event prior to the beginning of each fall quarter.
- A common reading project will be required of the Presidential Fellows cohort. The reading will become the basis for a series of presented twice each quarter for the academic year; these colloquia are taken for credit, graded, and will be included in each student’s grade point average.
- Presidential Fellows are assigned a Peer Mentor after the inaugural cohort has completed its first year, as the mentor should be a continuing NewSchool Fellow.
- NewSchool Fellows are supported by a Staff Mentor who is a member of the Division of Student Affairs.
- Presidential Fellows will be given a Professional Mentor who will commit to meeting with their mentee monthly.
- NewSchool Fellows will receive priority registration during each quarter.
- NewSchool Fellows will be introduced during convocation.
- Hosted dinner with President at year end with family/guests to acknowledge achievements and graduations.
- Special cord and seal on diploma at commencement.
Eligibility & Application Criteria
- 3.75 GPA minimum
- 1-page personal essay describing professional goals
- 2 letters of recommendation: one based on academic performance, one based on personal character
It is mandatory that in order to retain the Fellowship, All NewSchool Fellows will be required to maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.50 for undergrads and a cumulative GPA of 3.75 for graduate level Fellows (GPA criteria will be reviewed at the end of each academic year). Additionally, NewSchool Fellows will be required to research, write, and present an original 15-20 page paper or design project each year of Fellowship, topic to be approved by NewSchool President Marvin Malecha. Fellows will also be required to complete two days of community service each year of Fellowship, projects to be vetted through Office of Student Life.
General Terms & Conditions
- The materials sent to NewSchool will not be returned to the applicant.
- Receiving a scholarship does not guarantee admission to NewSchool. All applicants will have to apply and meet all the admission requirements in order to be admitted.
- Award amount, when combined with all other institutional awards and/or financial guarantees, cannot exceed 100% tuition and fees on a student account for scholarship to be applied.
- Projects and essays submitted previously to NewSchool for other scholarship opportunities.