All admissions decisions are made based on a holistic review of each applicant. Admissions decisions are valid for one calendar year. Applicants are considered for enrollment in fall, winter, spring, and summer quarters on a space available basis, so applicants are advised to apply early. To be eligible for matriculation, all applicants must have earned a high school diploma or equivalent (e.g., GED).
Any documents received by NewSchool will not be returned to the applicant and cannot be reissued to the applicant or to another institution. Students may request copies of their student file in accordance with the policies set forth in the Student Record Retention Policy. Portfolios will be held in the Office of Admissions for pickup for one quarter after the student’s original start date. Any portfolios left in the Office of Admissions after the first term of a student’s original start date will be appropriately destroyed and recycled.
Note: Some curriculum sequences, such as required design studios, begin only in the fall.
- Complete the online application and submit the application fee.
- Applicants for our graduate level programs must show proof of a baccalaureate degree from a college or university accredited by an agency recognized by the U.S. Department of Education or Council of Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA). Documentation of a certified equivalency and official transcript(s) are required. If a student is seeking waivers or transfer credits, all transcripts from the previously attended institutions are required.
- A minimum cumulative college GPA of 2.7 is required. A minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 is expected for students applying to the IPAL track of the Master of Architecture 4+2 or 4+3 programs. If your GPA does not meet the requirement, contact your Enrollment Specialist to discuss appeals options.
- At least two letters of recommendation are required for the IPAL track of the Master of Architecture program only. The letters should attest to the candidate’s character, work ethic, and professionalism, preferably from former/current employers, professors, or supervisors.
- Submission of a professional resume is required for candidates for the IPAL track of the Master of Architecture program and the Master of Construction Management program only.
- A GRE/GMAT test score is required for the Master of Architecture applicants who are appealing one or more admissions requirements.
- Review the portfolio requirements for each program below. Click here for more information on portfolio submissions.
- Master of Architecture (4+2), Master of Architectural Studies, Master of Science in Architecture, and Master of Architecture IPAL tracks: A portfolio of prior architectural/design work is required.
- Master of Architecture (4+3): Submission of a portfolio is strongly recommended.
- Master of Construction Management: A portfolio is not required.
- Statement of Purpose: Using essay format, complete a 1-2 page personal statement addressing the following:
- What are your career goals and how can NewSchool help you achieve them?
- What compelled you to apply to NewSchool and why do you feel you would be a good candidate for the program?
- How have your experiences shaped you academically, professionally, and personally?
- Why do you want to pursue a graduate degree and how does this impact your career goals?
- What are your plans for your graduate-level thesis? (Master of Architectural Studies and Master of Science in Architecture candidates only)
- Once all application materials have been received, the candidate may be required to complete a personal interview with a NewSchool representative. Telephone interviews may be arranged for applicants who reside outside the San Diego area.
- Master of Architectural Studies (5+1) 1-Year Program: A 5-year Bachelor of Architecture degree is required.
- Master of Science in Architecture 1-Year Program: A bachelor’s degree is required.
- Master of Architecture (4+2) 2-Year Program: A bachelor’s degree in architecture or a related field is required.
- Master of Architecture (4+2) 3-Year IPAL Program: A bachelor’s degree in architecture or a related field is required.
- Master of Architecture (4+3) 3-Year Program: A bachelor’s degree in any field is required.
- Master of Architecture (4+3) 4-Year IPAL Program: A bachelor’s degree in any field is required.
Prior to starting this program at NewSchool, it is required that Master of Architecture 4+3 program candidates have successfully (minimum grade of C) completed the following courses (or the equivalent at an outside institution) within the last 10 years. Students without college coursework in physics and trigonometry must complete the fall quarter course.
- SCI170: Physics I
- MTH172: Trigonometry
In addition to the 4+3 requirements, it is expected that Master of Architecture 4+2 program candidates have completed the equivalent of the following courses as well as the 700-level studio sequence in accordance with NAAB accreditation requirements. For students who have not completed these courses prior to applying to NewSchool, the missing coursework will be added as required supplemental coursework to the student’s 4+2 degree requirements.
- AR721: Materials & Methods I
- AR722: Materials & Methods II
- AR723: Statics, Structural Systems, and Principles
- AR725: Structures I: Wood/Steel/Concrete/Seismic
- AR726: Structures II: Long-Span and Form-Resistive Structures
- AR727: Structures II Emergent Trends
- AR741: Representation I
- AR742: Representation II
- AR761: Architectural and Urban History I: Prehistory to the Renaissance
- AR762: Architectural and Urban History II: Renaissance to the Modern Era
- AR763: Architectural and Urban History III: The Industrial Revolution to Today
Click here for specific admissions requirements for international students.