All admissions decisions are made based on a holistic review of each applicant. Admissions decisions are valid for one calendar year. Applicants are considered for enrollment in fall, winter, spring, and summer quarters on a space available basis, so applicants are advised to apply early. To be eligible for matriculation, all applicants must have earned a high school diploma or equivalent (e.g., GED).
Any documents received by NewSchool will not be returned to the applicant and cannot be reissued to the applicant or to another institution. Students may request copies of their student file in accordance with the policies set forth in the Student Record Retention Policy. Portfolios will be held in the Office of Admissions for pickup for one quarter after the student’s original start date. Any portfolios left in the Office of Admissions after the first term of a student’s original start date will be appropriately destroyed and recycled.
Note: Some curriculum sequences, such as required design studios, begin only in the fall.
- Online Application: Complete and submit the online application and pay the application fee. Fee may be waived; speak with your Enrollment Specialist.
- Official Transcripts: Applicants to graduate-level programs must show proof of a baccalaureate degree from a college or university accredited by an agency recognized by the U.S. Department of Education or Council of Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) at the time of admission. Documentation of certified equivalency and official transcript(s) are required. Applicants seeking waivers or transfer credits must submit transcripts from all previously attended institutions.
- GPA: A minimum cumulative college GPA of 2.7 is required for most programs; the IPAL track of the Master of Architecture, 4+2, and 4+3 programs require a minimum GPA of 3.0. If your GPA does not meet the requirement, contact your Enrollment Specialist.
- Two Letters of Recommendation: Required for the IPAL track of the Master of Architecture program only. The letters, from employers, professors, or supervisors, should attest to the candidate’s character, work ethic, and professionalism.
- Professional Resume: Required for candidates for the IPAL track of the Master of Architecture program and the Master of Construction Management program only.
- Portfolio: Review the portfolio requirements for each program below. Click here for more information on portfolio submissions.
- Master of Architecture (4+2), Master of Architectural Studies, Master of Science in Architecture, and Master of Architecture IPAL tracks: A portfolio of prior architectural/design work is required.
- Master of Architecture (4+3): Submission of a portfolio is strongly recommended.
- Master of Construction Management: A portfolio is not required.
- Statement of Purpose: Using essay format, complete a 1-2 page personal statement addressing the following:
- What are your career goals and how can NewSchool help you achieve them?
- What compelled you to apply to NewSchool and why do you feel you would be a good candidate for the program?
- How have your experiences shaped you academically, professionally, and personally?
- Why do you want to pursue a graduate degree and how does this impact your career goals?
- What are your plans for your graduate-level thesis? (Master of Architectural Studies and Master of Science in Architecture candidates only)
- Master of Architectural Studies (5+1) 1-Year Program: A 5-year Bachelor of Architecture degree is required.
- Master of Science in Architecture 1-Year Program: A bachelor’s degree is required.
- Master of Architecture (4+2) 2-Year Program: A bachelor’s degree in architecture or a related field is required.
- Master of Architecture (4+2) 3-Year IPAL Program: A bachelor’s degree in architecture or a related field is required.
- Master of Architecture (4+3) 3-Year Program: A bachelor’s degree in any field is required.
- Master of Architecture (4+3) 4-Year IPAL Program: A bachelor’s degree in any field is required.
Prior to starting this program at NewSchool, it is required that Master of Architecture 4+3 program candidates have successfully (minimum grade of C) completed the following courses (or the equivalent at an outside institution) within the last 10 years. Students without college coursework in physics and trigonometry must complete the fall quarter course.
- SCI170: Physics I
- MTH172: Trigonometry
In addition to the 4+3 requirements, it is expected that Master of Architecture 4+2 program candidates have completed the equivalent of the following courses as well as the 700-level studio sequence in accordance with NAAB accreditation requirements. For students who have not completed these courses prior to applying to NewSchool, the missing coursework will be added as required supplemental coursework to the student’s 4+2 degree requirements.
- AR721: Materials & Methods I
- AR722: Materials & Methods II
- AR723: Statics, Structural Systems, and Principles
- AR725: Structures I: Wood/Steel/Concrete/Seismic
- AR726: Structures II: Long-Span and Form-Resistive Structures
- AR727: Structures II Emergent Trends
- AR741: Representation I
- AR742: Representation II
- AR761: Architectural and Urban History I: Prehistory to the Renaissance
- AR762: Architectural and Urban History II: Renaissance to the Modern Era
- AR763: Architectural and Urban History III: The Industrial Revolution to Today
Click here for specific admissions requirements for international students.