NAAB Accredited Master of Architecture (M. Arch)
The Master of Architecture degree at NewSchool of Architecture & Design gives students with a bachelor’s degree in architecture or in a related field the opportunity to earn a professional master’s degree in architecture and is recognized by the National Architectural Accrediting Board (NAAB) and the National Council of Architectural Registration Boards (NCARB) as part of the requirements for eventual architectural licensure. The master’s level degree program offers two entry points, one for students with a baccalaureate degree in any field and the other for students who have already obtained a pre-professional architecture or architectural design studies undergraduate degree. Starting in Fall 2016, the program also offers an Integrated Path to Architectural Licensure track. This initiative provides students an opportunity to complete architectural license requirements for licensure while earning their graduate architecture degree, therefore significantly reducing time to launch their careers as licensed architects.
This design studio-focused graduate program allows students to explore what it means to be an architect in today’s world. Students will have opportunities to work with real clients and can culminate their education by taking part in the thesis process.
Depending on your academic record, undergraduate degree, as well as the review of your portfolio, the M. Arch program offers multiple tracks and entry points. The placement will be determined by the admissions committee.
- M. Arch Program 4+3: This is a 3 year master’s degree graduate architecture (M. Arch) program designed for students holding an undergraduate degree outside of architecture
- M. Arch Program 4+2: This is a 2 year graduate architecture program for students holding a 4-year undergraduate pre-professional degree in architecture or environmental design
- IPAL4: This is a 4 year graduate architecture (M. Arch) program for architecture students with a baccalaureate degree in any field. This rigorous architecture education program combines all requirements for architectural licensure, including professional experience and the Architectural Registration Examination (ARE).
- IPAL3: This is a 3 year graduate architecture (M. Arch) program for students with a pre-professional architecture or architectural studies undergraduate degree. This rigorous architecture education program combines all requirements for architectural licensure, including professional experience and the Architectural Registration Examination (ARE).
While most students entering this degree program plan to practice architecture, this degree is also useful for students who wish to pursue careers in teaching architecture or managing architecture or engineering firms. Our Master of Architecture degree program can prepare you for the following careers:
- Architecture Teacher, Postsecondary
- Manufacturing Drafter
- Architectural and Engineering Manager
- Professional, Scientific, and Technical Services
Master Degree in Architecture Program Features
Building upon the foundation of a bachelor’s degree in architecture or similar credentials, this master degree program is fully accredited by the National Architecture Accrediting Board (NAAB). From teaching sustainable design to professional development, the faculty at NewSchool use practical instruction to help prepare you for your prospective career. Explore the possibilities within this program through the following resources that detail NewSchool’s progressive, academic approach:
- Program Course Sequence and credits required: From core classes to your final electives, NewSchool’s Master of Architecture program instills you with foundational knowledge of architectural history and then expands on the advanced principles of becoming a successful architect.
- Program Data: Find data about program costs, types of occupations, completion rates, and median loan debt of students who have graduated from this program. - Two year program - Three year program