The library collection can be searched using the catalog.
More than 15,000 books in all subjects taught at NewSchool of Architecture and Design are available on the open shelves. The collection also includes reference books, a reserve collection and a growing ebook collection. More than 500 new books are added to the collection each year. Library users are encouraged to suggest new books for purchase. This may be done by contacting a member of library staff or filling in a recommendation form. Books are shelved by call number using the Dewey Decimal system.
The Library holds 52 current periodicals in the fields of architecture, landscape architecture, interior design, product design, construction management, and digital media arts. Periodicals are reference only.
Audio Visual Materials
The library’s collection of audio visual materials (VHS, DVD, CD) numbers over 300 items and continues to grow. The collection can be searched through STAX: the library catalog.
The periodicals collection is enhanced by two full-text databases JSTOR Arts and Sciences III and Academic Search Complete, which includes magazines and academic journals on the social sciences, humanities, and sciences.
Click on the links below to access the library databases.
• Arts & Sciences III includes journals in languages and literature, as well as essential titles in the fields of music, film studies, folklore, performing arts, religion, and the history and study of art and architecture.*
• Academic Search Complete - A comprehensive multidisciplinary database with more than 8,500 full-text periodicals
• Avery Index to Architectural Periodicals - Provides references to articles in architecture and design periodicals from the U.S., Europe, Asia, and Latin America
• Art and Architecture Complete - Full text coverage of 380 periodicals and 220 books, with a collection of over 63,000 images.
• GreenFILE - Indexes publications on such topics as global warming, green building, pollution, renewable energy, etc.
Landscape Journal (available on campus network only)
If you would like help using these research databases, please contact the NewSchool library staff at 619-684-8783 or via e-mail, firstname.lastname@example.org.