NewSchool of Architecture & Design and American Institute of Architects (AIA) San Diego have partnered together to launch a scholarship for the top architecture and design professionals interested in pursuing their graduate degrees at NewSchool of Architecture & Design. The annual scholarships of up to $5,000 are awarded to prospective graduate architecture students who express interest in supporting the mission of the Center for Healthy Environments at NewSchool.
Recently, the American Institute of Architects (AIA) named NewSchool as a charter member of the national Design and Health Research Consortium, which will fund basic research on how design affects public health.
The mission of the Center for Healthy Environments at NewSchool is to promote the school’s established leadership and expertise in the fields of neuroscience in architecture, healthy urbanism and sustainable architecture.
The American Institute of Architects, San Diego represents nearly 1,000 members in San Diego County and is one of more than 20 chapters in California and among nearly 275 nation-wide. Founded in 1927, AIA San Diego has a long record of achievement supporting the interests of our members and our community through its vigorous advocacy for design, planning, sustainability, architecture education, professional development and civic leadership.
NewSchool’s School of Architecture is globally recognized for its forward-thinking professors, industry connections and inspiring campus community. NewSchool’s Master of Architecture program has been named one of the Top-30 graduate programs in architecture by Frame magazine, a leading resource in the design fields.
MASTERS DEGREE PROGRAMS IN ARCHITECTURE:
- Master of Architecture I
- Master of Architectural Studies
- Master of Science in Architecture
The AIA San Diego Scholarship award will be up to $5,000 (US dollars) per academic year, divided over three quarters. Students must remain in good academic standing, maintaining a minimum GPA of 3.0 per quarter, and be continuously enrolled in a NewSchool graduate architecture program.
The AIA San Diego Scholarship is addressed to students wishing to advance their career in the field of architecture with a Master’s degree and further, contribute to the growing fields of neuroscience for architecture, healthy urbanism and sustainable architecture. Participants must have a bachelor degree and be ready to start their graduate architecture degree at NewSchool of Architecture & Design as a new, incoming student.
Applicants must submit:
- A one page typed statement describing how, in the applicant’s view, architects can design and build projects that promote healthy environments and communities. Applicant should outline specific examples of this, as it relates to neuroscience for architecture, healthy urbanism and sustainable architecture
- A portfolio demonstrating design ability or potential, maximum 10 pages
- College transcripts from the undergraduate institution
- Work should be scanned and compiled into a PDF
- Written materials must be submitted in English, as it is the language of instruction at NewSchool.
The Scholarship Committee consists of members of the leadership team of Center for Healthy Environments at NewSchool of Architecture & Design along with the President of the AIA San Diego. The committee will review submittals and make the scholarship selections.
All material must be sent via e-mail (file to be sent in PDF format) to Scholarships@NewSchoolArch.edu indicating in the subject “AIA San Diego Scholarship”. Applications will be considered in the order that they are received and must be submitted together with the completed online application form in the program of choice. Candidates will be informed about the results of the scholarship via email.
GENERAL TERMS & CONDITIONS
- The materials sent to NewSchool will not be returned.
- NewSchool is under no obligation to award the scholarship if the projects are deemed not to meet the suitable standards defined by the jury. The jury will judge at its own discretion and it is decision is final.
- The Graduate Architecture Scholarship Program (AIA San Diego Scholarship) cannot be combined with any other economic reduction offered by NewSchool.
- Receiving a scholarship does not guarantee admission to NewSchool. All applicants will have to apply and meet all the admission requirements in order to be admitted.